Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Painting Furniture with Porch Paint

Every once in awhile I get crazy...okay, a lot of the while, and I paint stuff. This time, I used some leftover porch and floor paint to give our dining room table a makeover. 


We used Glidden's porch and floor paint to paint our floors. I've heard that oil-based paints aren't tint-able, but guess what? This paint is! It also has polyurethane in it, so you don't need to add a protective coat after you finish painting. So I thought to myself, "Self, use the porch/floor paint to paint the dining room table!" 

So I did. I didn't prime or sand the table. Here is what it ended up looking like:  



I loooove it! I have two tips for working with porch and floor paint. 

One, apply the paint in thin coats on vertical surfaces. Otherwise you end up with something like this:


Not awesome. 

Two. If you apply the paint thickly on a level surface, that's okay. It's great actually! But if you decide to apply a second coat you must be sure that the first coat is fully cured. Otherwise you end up with this:


Not awesome. I ended up scraping paint off the whole table top and a couple of the legs with a straight razor and re-doing them, but I love how it turned out! 


5 comments:

  1. Love the striped floor! Great job on the table and chairs. Thanks for the how to info and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the floors. Thanks for the tips on painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that looks more comfortable I like the color.

    ReplyDelete