Pages

Friday, October 7, 2011

My Plea to Emma Watson.

I've been seeing this picture posted all over my news feed on Facebook:



and I'm all like, "What is this about?" Basically, in an interview, she said this:




"I find this whole thing about being 18 and everyone expecting me to be this object..I find the whole concept of being 'sexy' embarrassing and confusing.




If I do a photo-shoot people desperately want to change me - dye my hair blonder, pluck my eyebrows, give me a fringe.

Personally, I don't actually think it's even that sexy. What's sexy about saying, 'I'm here with my boobs out and a short skirt...have a look at everything I've got'? My idea of sexy is that less is more. The less you reveal the more people can wonder."

I thought, "how neat; that such an icon for young girls (and a surprising amount of women) would say something like that! How wonderful for them to hear from someone so lovely that "sexy" is not only covering yourself up, but it's "embarrassing and confusing". (This is totally how I feel when I get hollered at in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Classy? Sexy? I think no!)

Then I kept reading the article...and I died a little bit. She goes on to say:
"I might be willing to take my clothes off for a Bertolucci film, if it was a part that really made sense as part of my character."

Wut? No!! I don't even know what or who a Bertolucci film is (I'm so kewl), but he/it can't be so phenomenal that you'd just, you know, take your clothes off because it "made sense as part of your character." Why?!

People like who you are now. Like you said in your interview, you're not just getting your "kit" off for anyone. Don't take it off for everyone.

So here is my simple plea in behalf of all those who look up to you as a role model: Stay classy, Ms. Watson, and keep your clothes on. Please!

2 comments:

  1. This picture actually infuriated me from the get-go because I HAD read that article. I adore her, I think she's lovely. But the whole bit about not wearing miniskirts is just absurd. Hello, would you like me to find about 10 million pictures of her in strapless dresses and miniskirts? I think if you're going to use someone as a proponent of modesty, you'd better pay attention to more than just one little statement taken out of context.... grrr....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! I so agree!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete