Pages

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Cute, Sappy, and Scrappy.

I discovered something awesome. You can sew on paper! What? A lot of you probably already knew that, but I did not...and I think it's so cool! Yesterday I made this for My Honeypie:

Okay, wait, let me back up. A couple of months ago I saw this book Layered, Tattered, & Stitched-A Fabric Art Workshop. Basically, it is what it is: fabric art, and I thought "cool!" But I bought some dress fabric instead of the book. The other day I went to buy fabric again, but Joann's was a mad house. I think they were doing inventory or something. There were people in blue shirts with walkie-talkies everywhere! So I looked at some magazines and bought one:

[caption id="attachment_134" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="Sew Somerset"][/caption]

It has so many pictures! and a lot of projects, but I haven't actually read the thing. I've only looked at half the pictures. Doing that gave me the idea to make this for My Honeypie (deja vu anyone?):

[caption id="attachment_135" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="You Make My Life Happy....awwwwwwwwwwwww"][/caption]

Turns out all you do with mixed media art is use "trash" and make something pretty! Like above. Or like the lady on the cover of Sew Somerset does. Her Facebook page is here. She has some sweet stuff and uses antique/thrift store finds. My little sign is made simply out of this: paper tag (as the base), scraps of fabric (from Baby's quilt and another too short skirt), and a vinyl quote. It's cute and sappy, but so simple! The sign is now hanging above the napkin note that My Honeypie wrote and stuck on our door the day we got married:

[caption id="attachment_137" align="aligncenter" width="225" caption="awwwwwwww"][/caption]

Now if only I could learn to do this whole mixed media/scrappy, tattered thing with clothes!

[caption id="attachment_136" align="aligncenter" width="168" caption="Alice Dress*Esty.com"][/caption]

Unfortunately, I have had this picture for over six months and didn't write down which Esty vendor it was from...uh. Sorry. Love it!

5 comments:

  1. Awe! This is adorable. I love sappy and cute stuff. *sigh* And, even though I knew you could sew on paper, it never ever crossed my mind to use that knowledge to make something this lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can sew paper?????? I guess that makes sense. Doesn't it tear??? *non-crafty person*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know right? It didn't tear when I did it...I guess it is meant to be sewn? I don't really know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] so lovely! One of my sisters-in-law just had a baby shower and I used this poem to make a mixed media sumthin’-sumthin’ for her and her little girl on the [...]

    ReplyDelete